About meI am a professor at the Department of Artificial Intelligence and Automation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). I received my Ph.D. in Communication and Information Engineering, HUST. My research interests focus on Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, and Deep Learning. The developed scene text detection and recognition technology has been widely used in Huawei, Alibaba, Meituan and many other products or systems, and has achieved good economic and social benefits. I lead the Vision and Learning Representation Group and have published more than 250 papers in journals and academic conferences at home and abroad, including more than 80 JCR Q1 journals and CCF Class A papers.
Here are some previous projects:
- Shape Representation, 2D\3D Shape matching and Retrieval
- Scene Text Detection and Recognition: A brief survey, Slice (2014), Slice (2017)
- Object Detection and Image Classification, Contour Detection\Grouping
- Apr., 2022: We received a letter of appreciation from the Ethiopian Embassy in Beijing.
- Jan., 2022: We established HUST-CalmCar Autonomous Driving Technology Center.
- Oct., 2021: Zheng Zhang received ICCV 2021 Best Paper award (Marr Prize).
- Sep., 2020: Dingkang Liang and Chenfeng Xu won the Vision Meets Drone Crowd Counting Challenge 2020 (VisDrone2020).
- Oct., 2019: Dejia Song et al won the Visual Object Tracking Challenge 2019 (VOT2019).
- Oct., 2019: We won The 5th China College Students' "Internet Plus" Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition
- Sep., 2019: I received the IAPR/ICDAR Young Investigator Award
- Jun., 2019: Baoguang Shi received the Excellent Doctorate Dissertation Award
- May., 2019: We won the ICDAR 2019 Robust Reading Competition on Reading Chinese Text on Signboard
- Nov., 2018: Song Bai received the Excellent Doctorate Dissertation Award
- Nov., 2018: Minghui Liao received the CCF-CV Academic Emerging Award
- April., 2017: The invited talk "Oriented Scene Text Detection Revisited" at VALSE 2017, Xiamen. [PPT]
- Feb., 2017: Four papers accepted by CVPR 2017.
- Jan., 2017: I become an editorial board member of the journal "Pattern Recognition"
- Nov.,2016: Three papers accepted by AAAI 2017! Congratulations to Song, Minghui and Baoguang!
- June, 2016: Baoguang got the support from CSC for visiting Cornell University. Congratulations!
- March, 2016: We achieved the first place in Shrec2016 competition: Large-Scale 3D Shape Retrieval under the perturbed case.
Recent Publications (More)
Liao M, Zou Z, Wan Z, Yao C, Bai X. Real-Time Scene Text Detection with Differentiable Binarization and Adaptive Scale Fusion.IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence (TPAMI), 2022
Qi J, Gao Y, Hu Y, et al. Occluded Video Instance Segmentation: A Benchmark.Int. Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 2022
Yuan Y, Liu X, Dikubab W, Liu H, Ji Z, Wu Z, Bai X. Syntax-Aware Network for Handwritten Mathematical Expression Recognition.IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2022
Wang H, Liao J, Cheng T, et al. Knowledge Mining with Scene Text for Fine-Grained Recognition.IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2022
Tang J, Zhang W, Liu H, et al. Few Could Be Better Than All: Feature Sampling and Grouping for Scene Text Detection.IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2022
Liu X, Bai S, Bai X. An Empirical Study of End-to-End Temporal Action Detection.IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2022
Song S, Wan J, Yang Z, Tang J, Cheng W, Bai X, Yao C. Vision-Language Pre-Training for Boosting Scene Text Detectors.IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2022
Xu C, Liang D, Xu Y, Bai S, Zhan W, Bai X, Tomizuka M. AutoScale: Learning to Scale for Crowd Counting.Int. Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 2022
Associate Editor of Pattern Recognition (2017-), Patten Recognition Letters (2016-), Frontier of Computer Science, Neurocomputing (2015-)
Guest Editor of journal special isssue: (1) Special Section on Deep Learning, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 2017; (2) Multi-Instance Learning in Pattern Recognition and Vision, Pattern Recognition, 2017; (3) Deep Learning Applications in Computer Vision, Frontier of Computer Science, 2017; (4) Efficient Shape Representation, Matching, Ranking, and its Applications, Pattern Recognition Letters, 2016.
General Chair of the 6th Vision and Learning Seminar (VALSE'16), Wuhan.
Program Chair of the 1st IEEE SPS Signal and Data Science Forum (SIDAS'16), Wuhan.
Organizing Chair of the 1st Int. Workshop on Deep Learning for Pattern Recognition (DLPR'16), in conjunction with ICPR'16.
Organizaing Chair of Special Session on Visual Semantic Learning form Big Surveillance Data (VISA), WCCI/IJCNN'16.
TPC of CVPR(08-17), ICCV(09-17), ECCV(10-16), NIPS (15-16), AAAI (17), AISTAT(17), BMVC (16-17), etc;
Senior TPC of IJCAI 17.
Area Chair of ICIP 17.
Competition Chair of ICPR 18.
Reviewers of more than 40 int. journals including TPAMI, IJCV, TIP, Pattern Recognition, TNNLS, TMM, TCYB, TIE, TIST, TVCG, IVC, CVIU, PRL, SPL, IJDAR, IJPRAI, etc.
Awards and Honors
IAPR Fellow 2020
IJCAI 2019 Early Career Invited Reporter
AAAI 2019 Distinguished Senior Committee Member Award
IAPR/ICDAR 2019 Young Scholar Award
Keynote speaker of ICDAR 2017
Ten Thousand Talents Program Young Top Talents 2016
Most Cited Chinese Researchers, 2014-2016
Hongshan District Outstanding Youth, 2014
Excellent Young Scientist Foundation of NSFC 2012
Outstanding Youth Fund 2012
New century excellent talent of Ministry of Education, 2012
National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation nomination, 2012
Hubei Province Outstanding Doctoral Thesis, 2011
Microsoft Fellowship 2007
StudentsBaoguang Shi Ph.D. student
- Song Bai Ph.D. student (National PhD Fellowship 2015)
- Xinwei He Ph.D. student
- Xiaolong Liu Ph.D. student
- Pengyuan Lv Master student
- Zhichao Zhou Master student
- Duoyou Zhou Master student
- Mingkun Yang Master student
- Minghui Liao Master student
- Jieru Mei Undergraduate student
- Bo Wang, (2010) Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesis, now at Stanford University.
- Tianyang Ma, (2010) Undergradute Student, HUST; Ph.D. Temple Univerisity; Now at Amazon Company.
- Wei Shen (2013), Ph.D. HUST, Tencent Fellowship, co-supervised with Prof. Hongyuan Wang, now a faculty member of Shanghai University
- Xinggang Wang (2014), Ph.D. HUST, Microsoft Fellowship 2012, National PhD Fellowship, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, Ass. Prof. of HUST
- Yu Zhou (2014), Ph.D. HUST, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, now a faculty member of Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications
- Junwei Wang, Ph.D (2012), HUST co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, now at 709 Institute, Wuhan
- Chunyuan Li (2011), Undergradute Student, HUST; Now at Duke University
- Chen Shen (2013) , Master HUST, now at Temple University
- Cong Rao (2014) , Master HUST, National Master Fellowship, now at Temple University.
- Weichao Qiu (2014) , Master HUST, now at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Yan Wang,(2011) Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesi, now at NTU
- Quanming Yao (2013), Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesis, now at HKUST
- Yueming Wang (2014), Master HUST, National Master Fellowship, now at Taobao Company, Hangzhou
- Yi Xiong (2014), Master HUST, now at Tencent Company, Shenzhen
- Changtao Wang (2013), Master HUST, worked in Baidu Company, Beijing
- Chao Cai (2013), Master HUST, now at Zhongyuan Electronic Information Corporation, Wuhan
- Le He (2015) Master HUST; now at Toutiao
- Tingwu Hou (2015) Master HUST; now at Huawei
- Xu Min (2014), Undergradute student, HUST; Now at Tsinghua University
- Yajun Gao (2011), Undergadute student, HUST; Georgio Insititute of Technology, Master. Now at Amazon
- Zhuotun Zhu (2015) Undergradute student, HUST, Young Microsoft Fellowship; Now at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Zheng Zhang (2016), Master, HUST, National Master Fellowship 2015, Now at Microsoft, Suzhou.
- Chengquan Zhang (2016), Master, HUST, Now at Baidu, Shenzhen.
- Hongyang Wang (2016) Undergradute student, HUST. Now at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
- Pan Chen (2016) Ph.D., HUST, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu. Now a faculty member in Chinese University of Geosciences